Investigations on Phase Change Materials for Thermal Energy Storage (TES) System for Low-Temperature Steam Applications
- Latent Heat of Fusion,
- Parabolic Trough Collector,
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Paul Gregory F, Velavan R, Kannan K
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Phase Change Materials (PCM) exhibit a thermal storage property by their latent heat of fusion. These PCMs absorb heat energy from the source and they undergo a change of phase and release the stored heat energy to the application when required. This research work focuses on utilizing this property of PCMs to store heat energy from a steam source from a Parabolic Trough Collector, and the output from such a Thermal Energy Storage Unit could be used for steam cooking. This research work selects the optimum Phase Change Material to suit the heating application and virtually simulates the performance of various configurations of Thermal Storage heat exchangers and finds the optimum number of passes for steam flow using the Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) approach.
- Guruprasad Alva, Yaxue Lin, Lingkun Liu, Guiyin Fang, Synthesis, characterization and applications of microencapsulated phase change materials in thermal energy storage”, Energy and Buildings,144 (2017) 276-294
- M.S. Tayssir, S.M. Eldemerdash, R.Y. Sakr, A.R. Elshamy, O.E Abdellatif, Experimental Investigation of Melting Behavior of PCM by Using Coil Heat Source Inside Cylindrical Container, Journal of Electrical Systems and Information Technology, 2016
- Akshay R Hedaoo, Ashwin Hedaoo, Phase Change Material Review, International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science, 4 (2) (2016) 203-208
- Lavinia Gabriela Socaciu, Thermal Energy Storage with Phase Change Material, Leonardo Electronic Journal of Practices and Technologies, 20 (2012) 75-98.
- R.M Amarasekhara, Energy for Cooking, Integrated Development Association Publication,1994
- Jose Pereira da Cunha, Philip Eames, Thermal Energy Storage for Low and Medium Temperature Application – A Review, Applied Energy, 177(2016) 227-238
- Kavendra A. Thakare, A. G. Bhave, Review on Latent Heat Storage and Problems Associated with Phase Change Materials, International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, 04(10) (2015) 176-182.
- Yi Wang, Yu Zhang, Weihua Yang, Hui Jia, Selection of Low-Temperature Phase-Change Materials for Thermal Energy Storage Based on AHP and VIKOR Method, Energy Storage Science and Technology, 4(3) (2015) 300-305