Study on Ill Effects Caused by Air Pollutants on People at Cement Manufacturing Unit
The cement industry is one of the most polluting industries in the world. It is responsible for emission of pollutants such as particulate matter, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, sulphur oxide and nitrogen oxide. It adversely affects the environment and health of the people. It is emitted by burning of pet coke and is higher in concentration due to coalmine wastes and scrap tires. The health effects on people are eye and skin irritation, head ache, respiratory problems, cardio vascular problems and cancer. It also affects pregnant woman which have negative effects such as low birth weight, defects in respiratory system, asthma and allergies. In this paper, the effect of air pollutants from cement manufacturing unit is studied. The areas around cement industry are identified and survey by direct observation is conducted. The pollutants and effects are listed from the observation. The impacts of air pollution on people and their awareness on air pollution are observed. The remedies are suggested to reduce impact on humans.
2. Ali Hasanbeigi, William Morrow, Eric Masanet, Jayant Sathaye and Tengfang Xu, ‘Energy efficiency improvement and CO2 emission reduction opportunities in the cement industry in China’, Energy Policy, 2013, Vol. 57, pp. 287-297.
3. Anoop J Chauhan and Sebastian L Johnston, ‘Air pollution and infection in respiratory illness’, British medical bulletin, 2003, Vol. 68, No. 1, pp. 95-112.
4. Bingheng Chen, Haidong Kan, Renjie Chen, Songhui Jiang and Chuanjie Hong, ‘Air pollution and health studies in China-policy implications’, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 2011, Vol. 61, No. 11, pp. 1292-1299.
5. C Chen, G Habert, Y Bouzidi and A Jullien, ‘Environmental impact of cement production: detail of the different processes and cement plant variability evaluation’, Journal of Cleaner Production, 2010, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 478-485.
6. Daniel Andres Salas, Angel Diego Ramirez, Carlos Raul Rodriguez, Daniel Marx Petroche, Andrea Jael Boero and Jorge Duque-Rivera, ‘Environmental impacts, life cycle assessment and potential improvement measures for cement production: a literature review’, Journal of Cleaner Production, 2016, Vol. 113, pp. 114-122.
7. Dasom kim, Zi Chen, Lin-Fu Zhou and Shou-Xiong Huang, ‘Air pollutants and early origins of respiratory diseases’, Chronic diseases and translational medicine, 2018, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 75-94.
8. D Zimwara, L Mugwagwa and TR Chikowore, ‘Air pollution control techniques for the cement manufacturing industry: a case study for Zimbabwe’, CIE42 Proceedings, 2012, Vol. 37, pp. 1-13.
9. Edith H Van Den Hooven, Frank H Pierik, Yvonne De Kulizenaar, Sten P Willemsen, Albert Hofman, Sjoerd W Van Ratingen, peter YJ Zandveld, John P Mackenbach, Eric AP Steegers, Henk ME Miedema and Vincent WV Jaddoe, ‘Air pollution exposure during pregnancy, ultrasound measures of fetal growth, and adverse birth outcomes: a prospective cohort study’, Environmental health perspectives, 2011, Vol. 120, No. 1, pp. 150-156.
10. Emad Benhelal, Gholamreza Zahedi, Ezzatollah Shasaei and Alireza Bahadori, ‘Global strategies and potentials to curb CO2 emissions in cement industry’, Journal of cleaner production, 2013, Vol. 51, pp. 142-161.
11. Ernst Worrell, Christina Galitsky and L Prince 2008, ‘Energy efficiency improvement and cost saving opportunities for cement making’, LNBL-54036-Revision, Ernest Orlando Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, University of California.
12. Fernanda N Stafford, Fabiano Raupp-Pereira and Joao A Labrincha, Dachamir Hotza, ‘Life cycle assessment of production of cement: A Brazilian case study’, Journal of Cleaner Production, 2016, Vol. 137, pp. 1293-1299.
13. G D’amato, G Liccarddi, M D’amato and S Holgate, ‘Environmental risk factors and allergic bronchial asthma’, Clinical & Experimental Allergy, 2005, Vol. 35, No. 9, pp. 1113-1124.
14. Gennaro D’Amato, L Cecchi, M D’amato and G Liccardi, ‘Urban air pollution and climate change as environmental risk factors of respiratory’, Journal Of Investigational Allergology and Clinical Immunology, 2010, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 95-102.
15. Glen Richards and Igor E Agranovski, ‘Air emission from co-combustion of alternative derived fuels within cement plants: Gaseous pollutants’, Journal of Air & Waste Management, Vol. 65, No. 2, pp. 186-196.
16. Guillaume Habert, ‘Environmental impact of Portland cement production’, Eco-efficient concrete, 2013, pp. 3-25.
17. Hrvoje Mikulcic, Heriberto Canbezas, Milan Vujanovic and Neven Duic, ‘Environmental assessment of different cement manufacturing processes based on Emergy and Ecological Footprint analysis’, Journal of cleaner production, 2016, Vol. 130, pp. 213-221.
18. Jieru Zhang, Genggyuan Liu, Bin Chen, Dan Song, Jing Qi and Xinyu Liu, ‘Analysis of CO2 emission for the cement manufacturing with alternative raw materials: a LCA-based framework’, Energy Procedia, 2014, Vol. 61, pp. 2541-2545.
19. Jing Ke, Nina Zheng, David Friedley, Lymm Price and Nan Zhou, ‘Potential Energy savings and CO2 emissions reduction of China’s cement industry’, Energy Policy, 2012, Vol. 45, pp. 739-751.
20. Jin-Hua Xu, Tobias Fleiter, Ying Fan and Wolfgang Eichhammer, ‘CO2 emissions reduction potential in China’s cement industry compared to IEA’s Cement Technology Roadmap upto 2050’, Applied Energy, 2014, Vol. 130, pp. 592-602.
21. Juan A Conesa, Araceli Galvez, Fernan Mateos, 6].Ignacio Martin-Gullon and Rafael Font, ‘Organic and inorganic pollutants from cement kiln stack feeding alternative fuels’, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2008, Vol. 158, No. 2, pp. 585-592.
22. Lei Wang and Kent E Pinkerton, ‘Air pollutant effects on fetal and early postnatal development’, Birth Defects Research Part C: Embryo Today: Reviews, 2007, Vol. 81, No. 3, pp. 144-154.
23. Luke Curtis, William Rea, Patricia Smith-Willis, Ervin Fenyves and Yaqin Pan, ‘Adverse health effects of outdoor air pollutants’, Environmental International, 2006, Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 815-830.
24. Lyndsey A Darrow, Mitchel Klein, W Dana Flanders, James A Mulholland, Paige E Tolbert and Matthew J Strickland, ‘Air pollution and acute respiratory infections among children 0-4 years of age: an 18- year time-series study’, American journal of epidemiology, 2014, Vol. 180, No. 10, pp. 968-977.
25. Mahmoud Abu-Allaban and Hani Abu-Qudais, ‘Impact assessment of ambient air quality by cement industry: A case study in Jordan’, Aerosal and Air Quality Research, 2011, Vol. 11, No. 7, pp. 802-810.
26. Marata Schuhmacher, Jose L Domingo and Josepa Garreta, ‘Pollutants emitted by a cement plant: health risks for the population living in the neighborhood’, Environmental research, 2004, Vol. 95, No. 2, pp. 198-206.
27. Martha Georgiopoulou and Gerasimos Lyberatos, ‘Life cycle assessment of the use of alternative fuels in cement kilns: A case study’, Journal of environmental management, 2018, Vol. 216, pp. 224-234.
28. Olusegun Oguntoke, Abidemi E Awanu and Harold J Annegarn, ‘Impact of cement factory operations on air quality and human health in Ewekoro Local Government Area, South-Western Nigeria’, International journal of environmental studies, 2012, Vol. 69, No. 6, pp. 934-945.
29. Sabah A Abdul-Wahab, Ghazi A Al-Rawas, Sappurd Ali and Hilal Al-Dharmi, ‘Assessment of greenhouse CO2 emissions associated with the cement manufacturing process’, Environmental Forensics, 2016, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 338-354.
30. Shaohui Zhang, Ernst Worrel and Wina Crijins-Graus, ‘Cutting air pollution by improving energy efficiency of China’s cement industry’, Energy Procedia, 2015, Vol. 83, pp. 10-20.
31. Shukla Sudheer Kumar, Nagpure Ajay Singh, Vivek Kumar, Baby Sunisha, Shrivastava Preeti, Singh Deepali and Shukla Ravindra Nath, ‘Impact of dust emission on plant vegetation in the vicinity of cement plant’, Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, 2008, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 31-35.
32. Weiguo Shen, Yi Liu, Bilan Yan, Jing Wang, Pengtao He, Congcong Zhou, Xujia Huo, Wuzong Zhang, Gelong Xu and Qingjun Ding, ‘Cement industry of China: driving force, environment impact and sustainable development’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2017, Vol. 75, pp. 618-628.
33. Yassir Arfala, Jamaa Douch, Ali Assabbane, Khalid Kaaouachi, Hezhong Tian and Mohamed Hamdani, ‘Assessment of heavy metals released into the air from the cement kilns co-burning waste: Case of Oujda cement manufacturing (Northeast Morocco)’, Sustainable Environment Research, 2018, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 363-373.
34. Yu Lei, Qiang Zhang, Chris Nielsen and Kebin He, ‘An inventory of primary air pollutants and CO2 emissions from cement production in China, 1990-2020’, Atmospheric Environment, 2011, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 147-154.