Experimental Study on Behaviour of Rc T-Beam Strengthened with Jute Fiber Laminates - A Review
The present investigation addresses the external strengthening of reinforced concrete (RC) T-beams using jute fiber laminates. An experimental study is mainly carried out to study the change in structural behaviour of RC T-beams using externally wrapped jute fiber laminates, to enhance the shear and flexural capacity of the beams. The effect of pattern and orientation of the strengthening fabric on the shear capacity of the strengthened beams will be examined. RC T-beams with minimum shear reinforcement is designed and then external confinement using jute fiber laminates is carried out using epoxy resin. The layer confinement is executed to study and analyze the behaviour of confined beams with respect to control beam. Experimental results showing the advantage of beam strengthened using the various lay-ups of jute fiber are to be discussed. For all developed composites, experimental results revealed that the tensile properties of the developed composites are strongly dependent on the tensile strength of jute fiber and that the tensile properties of jute fiber are very much defect sensitive. Jute as a natural fiber is eco-friendly, low cost, versatile in textile fields and has moderate mechanical properties, which replaced several synthetic fibers in development of many composite materials. However, the hydrophilic nature of the jute fiber affects the mechanical properties of the developed composites. As a result to arrest crack and improve the strength of beam.
2. Ataur Rahman, MadhobiMallick and Shantanu Ghosh (2018) “Experimenta l behavior of FRP confined concrete cylinder wrapped by two different FRPs”, Journa l of Materia ls Science Research, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 1-9.
3. Attari N., Amziane S. and Chemrouk M. (2012) “Flexural strengthening of concrete beams using CFRP, GFRP and hybrid FRP sheets”, Construction and Building Materials 37, pp.746-757.
4. IS 10262-2009, Guidelines for concrete mix proportioning.
5. IS 383-1970, Specification for coarse and fine aggregates from natural resources.
6. IS 456-2000, Plain and Reinforced Concrete - Code of Practice
7. Ismail M.I., Qeshta, PayamShafigh and MohdZaminJumaat (2016) “Research progress on the flexura l behaviour of externa lly bonded reinforced concrete beams”, Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering 16, pp. 982 1003.
8. Lakshmikandhan K.N., Sivakumar P. and Ravichandran R. (2013) “Damage assessment and strengthening of re inforced concrete beams”, International Journa l of Material and Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 34-42.
9. Michael J., Chajes, Theodore A., Thomson Jr., Januszka Ted F. and William W. Finch Jr. (1994) “Flexural strengthening of concrete beams using externally bonded composite materials”, Construction and Building Materia ls, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 191-201.
10. Poorna Prasad Rao O.L. and RamaMohan Rao P. (2016) “Retrofitting of reinforced concrete beams using rubberized coir fibre sheets”, International Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 20-28.
11. Tara Sen and Jagannatha Reddy H.N. (2011) “Application of sisal, bamboo, coir and jute natural compos ites in structura l upgradation” , International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 186-191.
12. Tara Sen and Jagannatha Reddy H.N. (2013) “Strengthening of re inforced concrete beams in flexure using natural jute fibre textile reinforced composite system and its comparative study with CFRP and GFRP strengthening systems”, International Journal of Sustainable Built Environment 2, pp. 41-55.
13. Vazqueza A., and Plackett D., 2004. Natural polymer sources, Woodhead Publishing Ltd & C.R.C. Press L.L.C., U.K.
14. Liu X. Y., Dai G. C., 2007. Surface modification and micromechanical properties of jute fiber mat reinforced polypropylene composites, eXPRESS Polymer Letters 1(5), p. 299.
15. Yu J.Y., Xia Z.P., Cheng L.D., Liu L.F., Wang W.M., 2009. Study on the breaking strength of jute fibres using modified Weibull distribution, Composites: Part A 40, p. 54.
16. Defoirdt N., Biswas S., Vriese De L.e, Ngoc Tran L. Q., Van Acker J., Ahsan Q., Gorbatikh L., Van Vuure A., Verpoest I., 2010. Assessment of the tensile properties of coir, bamboo and jute fibre, Composites: Part A 41, p. 588.
17. Eichhorn S. J., Baillie C. A., Zafeiropoulos N., Mwaikambo L. Y., Ansell M. P., Dufresne A., Entwistle K. M., Herrera-Franco P. J., Escamilla G. C., Groom L., Hughes M., Hill C., Rials T. G., Wild P. M., 2001. Review Current international research into cellulosic fibers and composites, Journal of Materials Science 36, p. 2107.
18. Oksman K., Mathew A. P., Långström R., Nyström B., Joseph K., 2009. The influence of fibre microstructure on fibre breakage and mechanical properties of natural fibre reinforced polypropylene, Composites Science and Technology 69, p. 1847.
19. Zafeiropoulos N. E., Williams D.R., Baillie C.A., Matthews F.L., 2002. Engineering and characterization of the interface in flax fiber/polypropylene composite materials; Part I. Development and investigation of surface treatments, Composites: Part A 33, p. 1083.
20. Zafeiropoulos N.E., Baillie C.A., Hodgkinson J.M., 2002. Engineering and characterization of the interface in flax fibre/polypropylene composite materials; Part II, The effect of surface treatments on the interface, Composites: Part A 33, p. 1185.
21. Corrales F., Vilaseca F., Llop M., Girones J., Mendez J.A., Mutje P., 2007. Chemical modification of jute fibers for the production of green- composites, Journal of Hazardous Materials 144, p. 730.
22. Soden P. D. &Hinton M. J., 1998. Predicting Failure in Composite Laminates: The Background to the Exercise, Composites Science and Technology 58, p. 1001.
23. Gassan J., Bledzki A. K., 1999. Possibilities for improving the mechanical properties of jute/epoxy composites by alkali treatment of fibers, Composites Science and Technology 59, p. 1303.
24. Mouton S., Teissandier D., Sébastian P., Nadeau J.P., 2010. Manufacturing requirements in design: The RTM process in aeronautics, Composites: Part A 41, p. 125.
25. Maleque M. A., Belal F. Y., 2006. Mechanical properties study of pseudo-stem banana fiber reinforced epoxy composite, The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering 32(2B), p. 359.
26. Costa M. L., Muller de Almeida S. F., Rezende M. C., 2005. Critical Void Content for Polymer Composite Laminates, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics JOURNAL 43(6), p. 1336.