Utilization of Prosopis Juliflora Root Powder as a Self Curing Agent
Curing plays a chief function in the improving the strength of concrete. The function of a self-curing agent is to save the water and to reduce the water evaporation from the concrete, and hence they increase the water retention capacity of concrete compared to the conventionally cured concrete. Prosopisjuliflora root powder is used as admixtures for self-curing concrete in this study. Prosopisjuliflora (SeemaiKaruvelam in Tamil) grows tremendously and spreads due to its mechanism to overcome adverse conditions of like drought and salt. With deep penetrating roots, it can draw water from deeper layers. Their root has high water holding capacity, so powder made from it can be used as admixture for self-curing concrete. This project involves the experimental investigation of self-curing of concrete by using Prosopisjuliflora root powder. Tests on fresh concrete and hardened concrete were conducted. From the results, we have concluded that adding prosopisjuliflora root powder as a self-curing agent in the concrete mix at various percentages, the addition of 0.75% of prosopisjuliflora root powder by the weight of cement attains the 28 days compressive strength of a conventional M25 grade concrete in 7 days.
2. Ankitha M K, “Self Curing Concrete with Light Weight Aggregate”, International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Research (IJSER) ISSN (Online): 2347-3878.
3. C. SooryaTharshini, Belciya Mary, Konstantin Kovler, Strength Characteristics of SelfCuring Concrete”, International Journal of Civil Engineering and Technology (IJCIET) Volume 9, Issue 4, April 2018, pp. 1612–1617.
4. Magda I. Mousa, Ahmed H. Abdel-Reheem, “Physical properties of self-curing concrete (SCUC)”, HBRC Journal (2015) 11, 167–175
5. Mohamed G. Mahdy, “Self curing concrete Types: water retention and durability”, Alexandria Engineering Journal (2015) 54 565-575
6. Raghu K, Sharath V. T, Naveen Y, Bharath Kumar, Yogesha B.S, “Experimental Investigation on Partial Replacement of Cement by Mesquite (ProsopisJuliflora) Wood Ash in Concrete”. Vol 17, ISSUE 07, pp.no- 259-266. IC Value: 45.98; SJ Impact Factor: 6.887 Volume 6 Issue V, May 2018
7. RaveenaChakilam, Swamy Naga RatnaGiriPallapothu, ShivakumarPatil, Vivekanand A Gutteder, “Effect of self curing chemicals in self compacting mortars”, Construction and Building Materials 107 (2016) 356–364