A Study on the Behaviour of Cold Formed Built - Up Steel Compression Member
The use of cold-formed thin-walled steel structural members has increased in recent years. Especially, Cold-formed steel columns are widely used in the construction industry due to their lightweight, easy installation, erection and economy. The strength and efficiency of cold-formed steel profiles depends on the cross-sectional shape, which controls the three fundamental buckling modes: local, distortional and global. As most of their sections are open with only one symmetrical axis, they would likely fail by twisting and interacted with the other buckling modes such as local and distortional buckling. In order to improve the ultimate strength of columns, a built-up column section with distinct shape was selected from the detailed study of Literatures and three specimens of thickness 1.6mm were fabricated with different lengths 500mm, 600mm and 700mm. Consequently, buckling behaviour of built up steel members was investigated theoretically with Direct Strength Method (with the help of CuFSM) as well as experimentally and the results were compared with the buckling modes obtained numerically using ANSYS software and it is found that the ultimate load carrying capacity of the column increases with the decrease of slenderness ratio and finally a new innovative and economical column element was presented.
2. Beulah Gnana Ananthi G. Samuel Knight G. M. and Nagesh R. Iyer (May 2012), ‘Numerical analysis of cold – formed steel open sections under axial compression’. Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 39, pp 1 – 8.
3. Cristopher D. Moen and B. W. Schafer (2008), ‘Experiments on cold – formed steel columns with holes’ Journal of Thin - Walled Structures, Vol. 46, pp 1164 – 1182.
4. Derrick C. Y. Tap and Gregory J. Hancock (February 2011), ‘Experimental study of high – strength cold – formed stiffened web C – section in compression’, Journal of Structural Engineering @ ASCE, Vol. 137, pp 162 – 172.
5. Demao Yang and Gregory J. Hancock (2004), ‘Compression tests on high strength steel box columns’, journal of thin walled structure, Vol. 126, pp 49 -58.
6. El-Sheikh A. I., El-Kassas E. M. A. and Mackie R. I. (2001), ‘Performance of stiffened and un stiffened cold – formed channel members in axial compression’, Journal of Engineering Structures, Vol. 23, pp 1221 – 1231.
7. Georgieva I, L. Schueremans, L. Vandewalleand L. Pyl (2012),`Design of built-up cold-formed steel columns according to the direct strength method’, Procedia Engineering ,Vol.40, pp 119 – 124.
8. Gustavo Monteiro de Barros Chodraui, Jorge Munaiar Neto, Roberto Martins Goncalves and Maximiliano Malite (April 2006), ‘Distortional buckling of cold – formed steel members’, Journal of Structural Engineering @ ASCE, Vol. 132, pp 636 – 639.
9. Jessica Whittle, Chris Ramseyer (2009), ‘Buckling capacities of axially loaded, cold formed built up C – Channels’, Journal of Thin - Walled Structures, Vol. 47, pp 190 – 201.
10. Jia-Hui Zhang, Ben Young (March 2012),’Compression tests of cold – formed steel I – shaped open sections with edge and web stiffeners’, Journal of Thin - Walled Structures, Vol. 52, pp 1 – 11.
11. Jintang Yan and Ben Young (2002), ‘Column test on cold – formed steel channels with complex stiffeners’, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 128, pp 737 – 745.
12. Luka Pavlovcic, Bernadette Froschmeier, Ulrike Kuhlmann, Darko Beg (2012), Finite element simulation of slender thin-walled box columns by implementing real initial conditions’, Journal of Advances in Engineering Softwares, Vol. 44, pp 63 – 74.
13. NAS – 2001 ‘North American specification for the design of cold – formed steel structural members’.
14. Schafer B. W. (2008), ‘Review: The direct strength method of cold – formed steel member design’, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol. 64, pp 766 – 778.
15. Shanmugam N. E. and Dhanalakshmi M. (2001), ‘Design for openings in cold – formed steel channel stub columns’, Journal of Thin - Walled Structures, Vol. 39, pp 961 – 981.
16. Yuanqi LI, Xingyou YAO, Zuyan SHEN, Rongkui MA (2010), `Load-Carrying Capacity Estimation on Cold-Formed Thin-Walled Steel Columns with Built-up Box Section’, Twentieth International Specialty Conference on Cold-Formed Steel Structures St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A., November 3 & 4, 2010.