Studies on Effect of Silica Fume on Workability and Strength of Concrete
Silica fume is an industrial by product during the production of silicon metal or silicon alloys. Silica fume is known to improve the mechanical characteristics of concrete. The principle physical effect of silica fume in concrete is that of filler, because of its fineness can fit into space between cement grains in the same way that sand fills between particles of coarse aggregates and cement grains fill the space between sand grains. As for chemical reaction of silica fume, because of high surface area and high content of amorphous silica in silica fume, this highly active pozzolans reacts more quickly than ordinary pozzolans. The use of silica fume in concrete has engineering potential and economic advantage. This paper presents the optimal percentage of silica fume from the results of an experimental investigations carried out to for sustainable and economical production of concrete. It is observed that the optimum dose of silica fume is 15% (by weight), when used as part replacement of OPC. The silica fume inclusion decreases the workability and increases the strength of concrete considerably.
2. Hon. FICT, Dip M, Chartered MCIM, DMS Consultant.The effect of silica fume on the properties of concrete as defined in concrete society report 74, cementations materials.
3. Vikas Srivastava, Alvin Harison, P. K. Mehta, Atul, Rakesh Kumar,Assistant Professor, Civil Engg. Department, SHIATS (Formerly AAI-DU) Effect of Silica Fume in concrete.
4. Amudhavalli, N. K. & Mathew, J. (2012). Effect of silica fume on strength and durability parameters of concrete. International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Emerging Technologies. 3 (1), 28-35
5. Perumal, K., Sundararajan, R. (2004). Effect of partial replacement of cement with silica fume on the strength and durability characteristics of High performance concrete. 29th Conference on OUR WORLD IN CONCRETE & STRUCTURES: 25 – 26 August 2004, Singapore.
6. Kumar, R. , Dhaka, J. (2016). Review paper on partial replacement of cement with silica fume and its effects on concrete properties. International Journal for Technological Research in Engineering. 4,(1).
7. Ghutke, V. S. & Bhandari, P.S. (2014). Influence of silica fume on concrete. IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, 44-47.
8. Hanumesh B. M., Varun, B. K. & Harish B. A. (2015).The Mechanical Properties of Concrete Incorporating Silica Fume as Partial Replacement of Cement. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering. 5 (9), 270.
9. Shanmugapriya , T.& Uma R. N.(2013) Experimental Investigation on Silica Fume as partial Replacement of Cement in High Performance Concrete, The International Journal of Engineering And Science (IJES) .2 (5), 40-45.
10. Kumar, A., Jain, S., Gupta, S., Sonaram&Merawat, S.(2015). A Research Paper on Partial Replacement of Cement in M-30 Concrete from Silica Fume and Fly Ash. SSRG International Journal of Civil Engineering,3(5), 40-45.
11. Jain, A. &Pawade, P. Y. (2015). Characteristics ofSilica Fume Concrete. International Journal of Computer Applications
12. Roy, D. K. (2012). Effect of Partial Replacement ofCement by Silica Fume on Hardened Concrete. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering, 2(8), 472-475.
13. Amarkhail, N. (2015). Effects of silica fume on properties of high-strength concrete. International Journal of Technical Research and Applications, 13-19.
14. Sasikumar, A. (2016). Experimental Investigation onProperties of Silica Fumes as a Partial Replacement of Cement. International Journal of Innovative Researchin Science,, 5 (3), 4392-4395.
15. Ajileye, E.V. (2012). Investigations on Microsilica(Silica Fume) As Partial Cement Replacement in Concrete. Global Journal of Researches in Engineering Civil and Structural engineering 12 (1), 17-23.
16. Sharma, a. &Seema (2012). Effect of partialreplacement of cement with silica fume on compressive strength of concrete. International journal of research in technology and management, 1 (1), 34- 36
17. Pradhan, D & Dutta, D. (2013). Effects of SilicaFume in Conventional Concrete. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications. 3(5).