Identification of Power System Disturbances using Wavelet Transform
- symmetrical fault,
- unsymmetrical fault,
- wavelet transform(wt)
Copyright (c) 2019 International Research Journal of Multidisciplinary Technovation
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Electrical power system consists of three main structures which are generation, transmission and distribution system. If any disturbances occur in the system, it will affect the normal operating condition of the system. When a short circuit fault occurs in the system, the high fault current is produced and it will affect the overall reliability, power quality, protective devices in the system. In renewable integrated system, the fault will affect the overall interconnected system. Therefore fault identification plays a major role in power system.The objective is to identify the fault occurs in the system using wavelet .The fault identification requires fast and accurate analysis. The tripping action depends mainly on the voltage and current waveforms during the fault. Wavelet transform(WT) is a mathematical tool used for the analysis of the current waveform during faulty condition. The symmetrical and unsymmetrical faults are created and the fault current in the system is given to the wavelet transform. Energy values are extracted from wavelet transform and it used to identify the fault. The proposed methodology is verified by using MATLAB/simulink model.
- Sukumar M . Brahma, July 2007,“Distance relay with out of step blocking function using wavelet transform”, IEEE Trans on Power Delivery,vol.22, No.3 pp.1360-1366.
- Ashraf .I. Megahed, July 2007,A. Monem Moussa,and A.E. Bayoumy, “Usage of wavelet transform in the protection of series compensated transmission lines”, IEEE Trans on Power Delivery,vol.21, No.3, pp.1213-1221.
- R.Malkar, V. Magdum and S.Gunda, July 2007,“Transmission line fault analysis using wavelet theory‟, International journal of Engineering science and Tech, vol.4..
- Joe-Air Jiang,Ping-Lin Fan,Ching-Shan Yu,and Jin Yi Sheu, April 2003, “A Fault Detection and Faulted phase Selection Approach for transmission lines with Haar wavelet transform”, IEEE Conference on trans and dist, vol. 1 ,pp 285-289.
- S.R.Samantary,P.K.Dash and G.Panda, December 2005,”Transmission line fault detection using time frequency analysis”,IEEE Conference on Indicon , pp 162-166.
- Dr.S.M.El Safty,Dr.M.A. Sharkas, college of engineering, Arab Academy of Science and Technology, December 2003,”Identification of transmission line faults using wavelet analysis”, IEEE Proceeding on circuits and system, vol. 3, pp 1108-1111.
- Feng Yan, Zhiya Chen, Zhirui Liang,Yinghui Kong and Peng Li, 2002,”Fault location using wavelet packets”, In Proc. Int. Conference on power system technology, vol.4, pp 2575- 2579.
- HE Zheng You, Chen Xiaoqing,Luo Guoming, September 2006,”Wavelet entropy measure definition and its application for transmission line fault detection and identification ”, Int. Conference on power system technology, pp 1-5.
- Yuan Liao,„„New fault location approach measurment, January 2007”,IEEE Proceeding on recent trends in power system”, pp 407-412.
- T.K.Sarkar, C.Su,R.Adve, M.Salazar Palazar,L.Garcia-Castillo,Rafel R.Boix, October 2014,”A Tutorial on wavelet from an Electrical Engineering Perspective ”, IEEE Trans on Antennas and Propogation Magzine “,Vol.40. Iss.5.
- S.Huang, C.Hsieh,and C.Lien Huang, January 2013,”Application of Morlet wavelet to supervise power system disturbance‟‟, IEEE Trans on Power Delivery,Vol.14,Iss.1, pp.235- 243.
- G.T.Heydt,and A.W.Galli, April 2012,”Transient Power quality problem analyzed using wavelets”, IEEE Trans on Power Delivery,Vol.12,Iss.2,pp 908915.