A Wavelet Based Differential Algorithm for Busbar Protection
- Busbar protection,
- Internal and external faults,
- Mother Wavelet,
- Works on busbar protection
Copyright (c) 2019 International Research Journal of Multidisciplinary Technovation
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Busbar protection is an essential component in power system design, protecting the most important system node for network stability and security. When faults occurs on busbar itself, it takes much time to isolate the bus from source which may cause much damage in the bus system. Faults in power system are classified as internal and external faults. Faults within the zone are termed as internal faults whereas, the faults outside the Zone are called as external faults. Ideally, a relay looking after the protection of a zone should operate only for internal faults. It should restrain from operating for external faults or through faults. In this paper the busbar protection using differential protection scheme has been investigated for internal and external faults. An algorithm has been developed to improve the selectivity of the relay and the same has been tested in IEEE9 bus system for internal and external faults. Separation of De-noised signal from fault signal is made using wavelet transform so that the nature of fault occurs on the system can be identified. In this study Daubechies 4 at level 3 is used to separate original signal and de-noised signal. The entire simulation has been done using MATLAB R2017a.
- Kleber M. Silva, Alfredo Miguel P. Escudero, Felipe V. Lopes and Flavio B. Costa, June 2018, “A wavelet – Based Busbar Differential Protection”, IEEE transactions on power delivery, Vol 33, No. 3, June 2018.
- Mohindar S.Sachdev, Life Fellow, S. Sidhu, Harjeet Singh Gill, July 2000, “A Busbar Protection Technique and Its Performance During CT Saturation and CT Ratio-Mismatch”, IEEE transactions on power delivery, Vol. 15, No. 3, July 2000.
- Y.C. Kang, J.S. Yun, B.E. Lee, S.H. Kang, S.I. Jang and Y.G. Kim, “Busbar Differential Protection in Conjunction with a Current Transformer Compensating Algorithm”, IET Generation Transmission Distribution ,2008, 2, (1),pp. 100-109.
- Yong-Cheol Kang, Ui-Jai Lim, Sang-Hee Kang, Peter A. Crossley, April 2005, “A Busbar Differential Protection Relay Suitable for Use with Measurement Type Current Transformer”, IEEE transactions on power delivery, Vol. 20, No. 2, April 2005.
- Cesareo Fernandez, October 2001, “An Impedance– Based CT Saturation Detection Algorithm for Bus-bar Differential Protection”, IEEE transactions on power delivery, Vol. 16, No. 4, October 2001.
- M. M. Eissa, “High-speed differential busbar protection using wavelet packet transform,” Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. Gen., Transm. Distrib., vol. 152, no. 6, pp. 927–933, Nov. 2005.
- Saeed AshariGovar, Saeid Heidari, Heresh Seyedi, Saeid Ghasemzadeh, October 2017, “Adaptive CWT-based overcurrent protection for smart distribution grids considering CT saturation and high-impedance fault”, IET Generation Transmission Distribution ,2018, Vol.12, Iss 6.
- AsghariGovar, S., Seyedi, H.: ‘Adaptive CWT-based transmission line differential protection scheme considering cross-country faults and CT saturation’, IET. Gener. Transm. Distrib. 2016, 10, (9), pp. 2035–2041.
- Mahari, A., Seyedi, H.: ‘High impedance fault protection in transmission lines using a WPT based algorithm’, Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., 2015, 67,pp. 537–545
- Samantaray, S.R.: ‘Ensemble decision trees for high impedance fault detection in power distribution network’, Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., 2012, 43, (1), pp. 1048–1055
- Bakar, A.H.A., Ali, M.S., Tan, C., et al.: ‘High impedance fault location in 11kV underground distribution systems using wavelet transforms’, Int. J. Electr.Power Energy Syst., 2014, 55, pp. 723–730
- M. Kezunovic´, “Experimental evaluation of EMTP-based current transformer models for
- protective relay transient study,” IEEE Trans. PWRD, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 405–413, Jan.
- M. S. Sachdev and M. A. Baribeau, “A new algorithm for digital impedance relays,”
- IEEE Trans. PAS, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 2232–2240, Nov./Dec. 1979
- M. S. Sachdev and M. A. Baribeau, “A new algorithm for digital impedance relays,” IEEE Trans. on Power Apparatus and Systems, vol.98, no. 6, pp. 2232–40, Nov./Dec. 1979.
- Mohammed, M.E.: ‘High-speed differential busbar protection using wavelet-packet transform’, IEE Proc., Gen. Transm. Distrib., 2005, 152, (6), pp. 927–933
- Eissa, M.M.: ‘High-speed differential Busbar protection using waveletpacket transform’, IEE Gener. Transm. Distrib. Proc., 2005, 152, (6), pp. 927–933
- Gafoor, S.A., Rao, P.V.R.: ‘A new wavelet transform based busbar protection’. TENCON 2006, IEEE Region 10 Conf., November 2006,pp. 1–4