Performance Analysis on a Double Pipe Heat Exchanger with Twisted Tape Insert Using Al2O3 -Water Based Nano Fluid
- Heat Exchanger,
Heat exchangers are popularly used in industrial and engineering applications. Various heat transfer enhancement techniques are frequently used in a heat exchanger system in order to enhance heat transfer and increase in thermal performance of the system. With the help of inserting a twisted tape in the conventional heat exchanger, the higher heat transfer rate can be achieved. Heat transfer in a heat exchanger normally takes place with the help of conventional fluids such as water mostly because of its availability. Nanofluids, containing suspension of nano-meter sized particles have been reported to possess substantially higher heat transfer rate than their respective base fluids. In this project work, both the heat transfer enhancement techniques such as twisted tape and nanofluid have been taken to determine the heat transfer coefficients. The experimental analysis on the heat transfer characteristics of the double pipe heat exchanger with twisted tape insert using Al2O3 –water nanofluid at 0.4% volume concentration has been done. The result showed that the combination of these techniques significantly increases the heat transfer coefficients than their individual use as an enhancement technique.
- Maughal Ahmed Ali Baig, Ibrahim Nouzil, Azzam Sheik, Ferraz Mohammed, Thameez,
- Heat Transfer Augmentation in Concentric Tube Heat Exchanger Using Twisted Tapes, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, Vol. 3, Issue 3, May-Jun 2013, pp.1491-1496.
- A. G. Matani, Swapnil A. Dahake, Experimental Study on Heat transfer enhancement in a tube using counter/co-swirl generation, International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management, Volume 2, Issue 3, March 2013, pp. 100-105.
- Khwanchit Wongcharee, Smith Eiamsa-ard, Heat transfer enhancement by using CuO/water nanofluid in corrugated tube equipped with twisted tape, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer 39 (2012), 251–257.
- L. Syam Sundar, K.V.Sharma and S. Ramanathan, Experimental investigation of Heat Transfer Enhancements with Al2O3 Nanofluid and Twisted Tape Insert in a Circular Tube, International Journal of Nanotechnology and Applications, Volume 1 Number 2 (2007), pp 21–28.
- Khwanchit Wongcharee, Smith Eiamsa-ard, Enhancement of heat transfer using CuO/water nanofluid and twisted tape with alternate axis, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer 38 (2011), 742–748.
- S. Suresh, K.P. Venkitaraj, P. Selvakumar, Comparative study on thermal performance of helical screw tape inserts in laminar flow using Al2O3/water and CuO/water nanofluids Super lattices and Microstructures 49 (2011) 608–622.
- S. Naga Sarada, A.V. Sita Rama Raju, K. Kalyani Radha, L. Shyam Sunder, Enhancement of heat transfer using varying width twisted tape inserts, International Journal of Engineering, Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 6, 2010, pp. 107-118.
- Pooyan Razi, M.A. Akhavan-Behabadi , M. Saeedinia, Pressure drop and thermal characteristics of CuO–base oil nanofluid laminar flow in flattened tubes under constant heat flux, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer 38 (2011), 964–97.
- S.D.Patil, A.M. Patil, Gautam S. Kamble, Analysis of twisted tape with straight winglets to improve the thermo-hydraulic performance of tube in tube heat exchanger, International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research and Studies, Vol. I, Issue IV, 2012, 99-103.
- Amirhossein Zamzamian, Shahin Nasseri Oskouie, Ahmad Doosthoseini, Aliakbar Joneidi, Mohammad Pazouki, Experimental investigation of forced convective heat transfer coefficient in nanofluids of Al2O3/EG and CuO/EG in a double pipe and plate heat exchangers under turbulent flow, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 35 (2011), 495–502.