Effects of Deep Cryogenic Treatment on Wear Resistance & Life of Nickel Coated Flywheel
- NICKEL COATING,
- DEEP CRYOGENIC TREATMENT,
- WEAR RESISTANCE
Copyright (c) 2019 International Research Journal of Automotive Technology
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The influence of deep cryogenic treatment on wear resistance and life of nickel coated flywheel was studied. Nickel was deposited on to the flywheel workpiece by plating method. The nickel coated pieces were tested at various loads and speeds on a pin-on-disc apparatus, different loading conditions were used in order to compare the wear rate. The pin-on-disc gave ample results on the wear rate of the coating. Then the coated pieces were cryogenically treated at -196℃ at various time interval of 8,16 & 24 hours with constant supply of liquid nitrogen. Later the cryogenic treated specimen was tested for wear rates to compare the wear rate results to ultimately find the wear before and after cryogenic treatment. The microstructures of cryogenic and conventionally treated samples were analyzed. Additionally, transformation of retained austenite to martensite
played an effective role, i.e. improved hardness values.
- J.Y. Huang, Y.T. Zhu, X.Z. Liao, I.J. Beyerlein, M.A. Bourke, T.E. Mitchell, “Microstructure of cryogenic treated M2 tool steel” in Materials Science and Technology.
- D. Mohan Lal, S. Renganarayanan, A. Kalanidhi, “Cryogenic treatment to augment wear resistance of tool and die steels” .
- Hong-Shan Yang, Jun Wang, Bao-Luo Shen, Hao-Huai Liu, Sheng-Ji Gao, Si-Jiu Huang, “Effects of cryogenic treatment on the matrix structure and abrasion resistance of white cast iron subjected to destabilization treatment” in Metal Material, may 2 2006.
- Y. Arslan Duzce, “The Effect of Cryogenic Treatment on Microstructure and Mechanical Response of AISI D3 Tool Steel Punches” .
- L. Krantz, “Increased Surface Fatigue Lives of Spur Gears by Application of a Coating: Timothy”.
- Y. Cai, Z. Luo & Y. Zeng, “Influence of deep cryogenic treatment on the microstructure and properties of AISI304 austenitic stainless steel A-TIG weld, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining” of DOI: 10.1080/13621718.2016.1222256.
- Junjun Cui, Liqing Chen, “Microstructure and abrasive wear resistance of an alloyed ductile iron subjected to deep cryogenic and austempering treatments” (2010), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmst.2017.08.003.
- V. Firouzdor, E. Nejati, F. Khomamizadeh, “Effects of deep cryogenic treatment on wear resistance and tool life of M2 HSS drill” in Materials Science & Engineering
- A. Joseph Vimal , A. Bensely , D. Mohan Lal & K. Srinivasan , “Deep Cryogenic Treatment Improves Wear Resistance of En 31 Steel” in Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 23:4, pp 369-376, DOI: 10.1080/10426910801938098.
- M. Z. Nafikov , “Deposition of coatings of non-ferrous metals and alloys on a carbon steel substrate” in Welding International, 2018 32:1, pp82-84.
- A. Molinari, M. Pellizzari, S. Gialanella, G. Straffelini, K. H. Stiasny, “Effects of deep cryogenic treatment on the mechanical properties of tool steels” in University of Trento.
- Daniel OLORUNTOBA, Oghenedoro EGHWUBARE, Oluleke OLUWOLE, “Effect of Some Process Variables on Nickel Electroplating of Low Carbon Steel”.
- C. Ambasankaran & K. A. Sarojini , “Electroless Nickel Plating and Its Applications” in IETE Journal of Research, 9(4), pp 309-315.
- Electro deposition of Nickel-Alumina Composite Coating. Arshali Sasi, Manoj Mondal, Saurabh Dayal, Sasi Kumar 1c 1Department of Material Science & Metallurgical Engineering, MANIT, Bhopal, M.P, India.